Custom Search


Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Track your remote Gmail Open Session

Your mail account may contain very important mails to very personal secret information/mail. But what if you forgot sign out from public computer. The result can be very cruel if somebody misuses your personal information. To fix this problem, here is great news from Google...

Google has come with a great security feature tracking open sessions. If you are logged in to your gmail account from more than one computer/PC and forgot to sign out, you'll be able to see the locations from where you have not signed out and you can also sign yourself out remotely.

At the bottom of your inbox, you'll see information about the time of the last activity on your account and whether it's still open in another location:



Using the above example, a quick glance at the footer while I'm at work shows that my account is indeed open in one other location. But I recognize the IP address - it's my computer at home. Turns out today I left my Gmail account open when I left home in a hurry.

If you click on "Details" in Gmail's footer, you'll find a lot of interesting information about your sessions. "The top table, under Concurrent session information, indicates all open sessions, along with IP address and access type -- which refers to how email was retrieved, for example, through iGoogle, POP3 or a mobile phone. The bottom table, under Recent activity, contains my most recent history along with times of access. I can also view my current IP address at the very bottom of this window, where it says This computer is using IP address...".



Gmail's blog mentions that this feature is currently being rolled out in the new version of Gmail, so you may not see it right now.

No comments: